There are those who swear by monthly facial treatments, and there are those who’re rather skeptical about the cult of the facial. We collected the 9 undisputed benefits a regular facial regime can bring to your skin.
There are loads of contradictions in the approaches different beauty therapists swear by when it comes to facial treatments. Some say that extractions are the enemy while others believe it’s impossible to do deep cleansing without them. One says that steam is useful, others would never steam. No wonder people get confused and ask the question: Do facials really work, and are they necessary at all?
Food for thought.
Just like your teeth, your skin needs to be evaluated and cleansed by a professional every so often to maintain a healthy complexion. A beauty therapist should be seen as the dentist for your skin.
Well, we here at Figaro London do both. And we believe they are good, though not for everyone and not any time. If your skin is very inflamed, a steam can be like oil on fire. If we find your inflammation is too severe, we’d urge you to visit a dermatologist instead of undergoing facial treatments. Once the inflammation is settled, you can potentially start a regular facial routine to maintain a healthy glow.
If you have blackheads all around your nose, clogged pores, little white bumps on your forehead, perhaps a few pimples, the worst thing you can do is pick at them yourself as it can cause scarring and infection. Instead, extractions done by a professional can help. A beauty therapist will know how to prepare your skin professionally so that extraction will go smoothly. Don’t expect to get rid of all your blackheads and whiteheads in one session though. Too many extractions at one time can be traumatic to the skin.
Whatever approach your beauty therapist swears by, they’d all agree on these 9 points:
- Facials improve the skin’s tone, texture, and elasticity by counteracting the damaging effects of air pollution and sun exposure.
- Regular facials are the best anti-aging treatment ever. They decrease your chances of having to spend money on expensive procedures later on.
- With each facial, a facial massage is often incorporated. The massage alone works wonders on tired, wrinkled skin. Read more about the benefits of facial massage here.
- Having your skin exfoliated by a professional often means getting microdermabrasion or having a fruit acid peel to help remove dead skin. This part of the facial process helps jump-start cell turnover, encouraging the growth of new, healthy cells.
- Regular exfoliation by a professional will work wonders for those looking to diminish the appearance of acne scars.
- After receiving a facial, make-up goes on more smoothly and evenly. You may be surprised at how little, if any, is needed.
- In terms of your at-home skincare products, a facial will help make sure you are getting your money’s worth. A beauty therapist deeply cleanses and exfoliates the face, allowing all your products to fully absorb and do their jobs properly.
- Having your skin examined by a professional can also teach you a lot about what products are appropriate for your skin type. A good facialist will to equip you with as much information as possible about your skin.
- Instant results. After just one facial, you will see an immediate improvement in the appearance of your skin.
You see, a good facial clears things out, plumps things up and gives extra oomph to whatever skin routine you’re using at home. How often should you visit your facialist? There’s really no one size fits all answer to this question, it really depends on your skin, so it’s best to consult your beauty therapist first and then agree on a facial routine you can stick to.
Have any questions about facials? Let us know in the comments below and we will do our best to respond.
Want to consult with Edith, our beauty therapist? Book an appointment, she’ll be pleased to help
PS: Sign up for the newsletter to join our mailing list and become a Figaro London Insider. You’ll be first to learn about exclusive offers, discounts and giveaways, competitions and news, plus you’ll get personal invitations for exclusive events we don’t talk about anywhere else.