Do you have acne prone skin? Acne is a very common skin disease. It affects about 80% of people during their lifetime. Mainly caused by genetics and hormones, this condition can be painful and result in low self-esteem. Although getting rid of acne for good can be a long process, there are several ways to prevent the appearance of spots on your face.
In this post, we are going to see what to do and what not to do when you have acne prone skin. These tips are valid for all types of skin and acne. 😉
- Washing your face twice a day (morning and night) using a face wash adapted to your skin type. This will help your skin get rid of excess sebum, pollution and impurities that clog your pores.
- Moisturizing your face after washing it with a cream adapted to your skin type. Even if you have oily skin, like most people with acne: dehydrated oily skin will produce more sebum to protect itself, resulting in blackheads and spots.
- Exfoliating your skin (maximum twice a week) with products that are gentle to the skin (such as peeling gels) to get rid of dead cells and clean your pores.
- Using salicylic acid-based skincare products to gently unclog your pores.
- Often changing your face towel and your pillowcases so they don’t transfer new bacteria to your skin.
- Drinking lots of water to help your body eliminate toxins.
- Limiting your intake of dairy products: they may contain hormones and antibiotics that can cause your skin to break out.
Not to do
- Not removing your make-up before going to bed.
- Not washing your face after taking your make-up off. Lots of impurities remain after removing make-up!
- Touching your face and your spots, unless you’ve just washed your hands. Also keep your phone screen away from your face. Hands and phones are covered with bacteria that can penetrate your pores and cause the skin to break out.
- Using scrubs to exfoliate. Although often recommended for acne-prone skin, scrubs are quite abrasive and create micro-lesions that allow bacteria to penetrate the skin more easily.
- Exposing your skin to the sun. We recommend using face sunscreen.
- Consuming too much sugar, alcohol and smoking.
For more acne prone skin tips from dermatologists, check this post by Teen Vogue.
If you are looking for tips to help you treat your spots, read our post How to get rid of spots fast: 7 best natural home remedies.
And if you want to pamper your skin with a nice face mask, read our post Natural homemade face masks. 😉
We hope these advices will help you clear your acne. If despite following these tips your skin still breaks out a lot, don’t hesitate to consult a dermatologist.