At this time of quarantine, we are unable to go to the salon and get a cute manicure. But we shouldn’t let the situation stop us from having pretty looking nails! We should take advantage of this period to take care of them. Because it’s important to keep pampering yourself to feel good, take a look at our answers to the most frequently asked questions about homemade manicure.
How and what to use to look after your nails?
Healthy nails are key to a beautiful manicure. Neglected nails tend to be weaker and break more easily. In order to prevent this, we recommend you this easy 6-step pampering session:
- After removing your nail polish, use a nail file to shape your nails. Prefer a glass file, which is more gentle to the nails and lasts longer than the paper and metal ones.
- To whiten your nails, soak them in lemon juice for 10 minutes. This step is optional.
- Take care of your cuticles (see question below)
- Apply nail hardener to keep them strong.
- Apply nail base to protect your nails and prepare them for the application of nail polish.
- Don’t forget to take care of your hands! Keep them moisturized using hand cream whenever you feel like you need it.
Ideally, this complete routine should be done once a month.
How to take care of your cuticles
Cuticles are the fine layer of dead skin that covers the base of the nail plate. They must not be confused with eponychium, which is the living skin that borders the nail.
- To facilitate the application of nail polish, gently remove the cuticles using a cuticle pusher or a cuticle stick.
- Apply a small drop of cuticle oil on each nail and massage for a few minutes to help the oil penetrate. You can also use coconut or jojoba oil.
How to make your nail polish last longer
Here are a few tips to keep your manicure perfect for a long time.
- Don’t have prolonged contact with water at least 1 hour before and 2 hours after applying nail polish.
- Make sure your nails are healthy: nail polish won’t last on damaged nails!
- Always apply nail base before nail polish. This will also prevent the nail polish from staining your nails. If you have long nails, don’t forget to apply some base on the underside of your nails: this will waterproof your manicure.
- Apply top coat over nail polish to protect it. You can chose between different types of top coats: regular, matte, or even gel effect.
- Use gloves when washing dishes.
- Indeed, high quality nail polish will last longer.
To conclude, even in times like these, it is totally possible to take care of your nails at home. You can now help your nail polish look prettier and last longer.